A fantastic appetiser or side dish to serve with asian meals. Watermelon rind is the less favourite part of the fruit, but rather than waste it why not pickle them! They give a crunchy texture and really gets your appetite going.
- Watermelon rind
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sweetener (eg. maple syrup)
- Sliced chili, peppers (optional)
Preparing your pickles:
- In large sterilised jar, fill 1/3 with apple cider vinegar.
- Cut watermelon rind (leave the skin off).
- Boil a small amount of water in a pot, when bubbling place the rind in.
- Immediately turn off the heat. Let it rest for no longer than a minute to blanch them quickly.
- Transfer the rind to the large jar. The vinegar will start to cool the radish immediately.
- Pour in some of the water from the pot into the jar. Add salt and sweetener.
- Optional: add pepper and/or chili.
- Keep it in the fridge. On the next day, do a taste test and adjust sweetness if required.