A refreshing delicious cucumber salad, usually served as an appetiser or side dish.
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus extra for cucumbers
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar or 2 teaspoon rice malt syrup
- 1 teaspoon GF soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 Chilli, finely sliced
- Handful coriander, chopped
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- Chili, finely sliced
- Wash cucumbers and pat dry. Cut crosswise into pieces about 4cm long. Cut each piece in half lengthwise.
- On a chopping board, place a piece of cucumber (cut side down) and use the flat surface of the blade a large knife to smash cucumber so that the seeds become separated.
- Coat cucumber pieces with a pinch of salt and sugar/syrup. Place on a strainer to drain liquid for 20 mins, then refrigerate.
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, combine salt, sugar and rice vinegar. Stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Stir in sesame oil and soy sauce.
- When ready to serve, shake cucumbers well to drain off any remaining liquid and transfer to a serving bowl. Add garlic and the red pepper flakes to taste, and toss. Garnish with coriander and sesame seeds.